crying black and white.jpg
child covering ears.jpg
child and man drinking.jpg
black and white feast.jpg

VAWA Abuse Cases

The Violence Against Women Act provides that the spouse or children under 21 of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and/or a Parent of a U.S. Citizen who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty may file a self-petition if the following requirements are met:


  • Evidence that the abuser is a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident.

  • Evidence of the bonafide character of the marriage.

  • Evidence that the Self-petitioner resided with the USC spouse or parent.

  • Proof of the abuse such as: police reports, pictures, and/or personal statement establishing the abuse, affidavits from witnesses.

  • Good moral character


Special Remarks:


  • An individual must self-petition at the latest within two years after the termination of the marriage if it can be proven that there is a connection between the termination and the abuse.

  • Individuals who were abused by their spouses and who entered the United States without inspection are eligible to self-petition.